Memo: Inclement Weather Procedures
As the winter season approaches, APTS would like to remind you of our procedures for inclement weather.
Date: December 5, 2022
Re: APTS Inclement Weather Policy
For inclement weather days, APTS campus buildings will follow their corresponding school divisions.
- Alexandria campus will follow Fairfax County Public Schools
- Central Administrative Office will follow Prince William County Public Schools
- Manassas Campus will follow Manassas City Public Schools
- Stafford Campus will follow Stafford County Public Schools.
If those divisions are open, the corresponding APTS campus buildings will also be open. In the event of school closures, APTS will, in most cases, shift to a virtual school day as follows:
- An announcement will be made by 5:30a.m. via social media, email and on the APTS website whether:
- specific APTS buildings are open as usual
- any building will open on a two-hour delayed basis
- any building is closed, and classes have shifted to virtual for the day
- APTS is closed for the day resulting from power outages or other extreme circumstances.
For inclement weather days with virtual classes, the school day for all students is in session from 10:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m., with a 1-hour break taken from 12-1pm. An email from the student’s teacher will be sent out by 9:00am on virtual learning days that will include the learning packet for that day. Asynchronous learning will also be provided. For situations in which a student’s county of residence is closed but the APTS campus building is open, those students will automatically shift to the virtual sessions from 10 a.m. – 3p.m.
APTS will periodically send home pre-packed meals to free and reduced eligible children in anticipation of unforeseen cancellations. When inclement weather is being predicted for a particular day by meteorologists, APTS will do its best to send home ahead of time a pre-packed meal for eligible students. Additionally, APTS is in the process of ordering loaner portable technology for all students to make adapting to this virtual learning process as seamless as possible.
For parents- when the student’s APTS campus building is open but your child’s public school division is closed and transporting them to school is in question, do reach out to your child’s case manager.