Flexibility and Rigidity Information
Potential reasons for rigidity:
- Lack of knowledge about how something is done. Not knowing how the world works with regard to specific situations and events, the child will act inappropriately instead.
- The need to avoid or escape from a non-preferred activity, or something difficult. If a child cannot perform a task perfectly, they may try to escape engaging in that activity.
- The need to engage in or continue a preferred activity, usually an obsessive action or fixation.
- A violation of a rule or ritual –changing something from the way it is supposed to be.
- Anxiety about a current or upcoming event, no matter how trivial it might appear to you.
- The need to control a situation
- Immediate gratification of a need
- A misunderstanding or misinterpretation of another’s action.
- Transitioning from one activity to another.
- Other internal issues such as sensory, inattention (ADHD), oppositional tendency (ODD), or other psychiatrist issues.
Conversation Starters / Talking Points / Activities: